8 Tips to a Flat Belly
Posted on 05 January 2015
A flat stomach, toned or six-pack abs seems to be similar to the cherry on top of your favorite sundae (I know, I know, terrible reference when you’re trying to get flat abs). We dream of having the abs of our favorite fitness models and athletes that we are constantly seeing all over health and fitness magazines. A flat stomach, toned or six-pack abs may take a whole lot of work and dedication, but they are possible. These 8 tips can help you flatten that belly!
- Drink a bottle of water within an hour of waking up. You will help “wake up” your organs, metabolism and reduce the chances that you overeat during breakfast. Additionally, it will also aid in healthy elimination (pretty way of saying to go to the bathroom).
- Avoid dairy products if they make you bloated. Same goes for foods that you know result in bloating (broccoli, cauliflower, beans, etc.) Bloating hides the abs by the stretching of the stomach. Bloating is one of the reasons tabloids tell us a celebrity is pregnant, when in reality, she just had a big lunch.
- Stay away from fast food! Getting that flat tummy will not be achieved through weekly (even more frequent for some) drive-thru lunches or dinners. A double-cheeseburger and cheese fries or a flat belly… what’s it going to be?
- Refrain from eating processed foods. I know this is easier said than done, but processed foods are loaded with added sugars (or sugar alcohols), additives, preservatives, etc.
- Eat clean! Clean eating is the consumption of foods in their natural state (raw) or that closest to it (baked, sautéed, steamed, etc.).
- Eat more and shred those unwanted pounds! Eat 5-6 small, healthy meals per day. Eating small portions throughout the day will fuel your metabolism. Eat more and weigh less… who would have thought?
- Stop doing 30-day abs challenges, doing 1,000 crunches a day and spending hundreds of dollars on these “special drinks” that will give you abs like Pink in two days. All of these gimmicks don’t work, so don’t waste your time or money.
- If you are having a craving for sweets, fatty or junk foods, have a bottle of water or a cup of tea instead. Cravings are mentally stimulated, so focusing your attention on that bottle of water or cup of tea will distract you from your craving while also filling you up (you won’t want to eat).
Remember, you will see the most definition (when it’s there) in the morning prior to consuming any food or beverages. Throughout the day, you will see a change in your abs based on what you ate, how much water you’ve just consumed, sodium intake, etc. The saying, “Abs are made in the kitchen” is a phrase that you should hold near and dear to your heart (and your abs). The combination of clean eating and efficient training will get you to that flat belly!
Love the graphic? You can download it HERE