Forty, Fit and Fabulous
Posted on 20 April 2016
Think having five kids, a husband, and a busy career mean that you can’t be fit? Think again. See how Melissa used strength training to take back control over her body and health. Melissa used fitness to change her life for the better, going from unhealthy to happy, fit, and a total inspiration to women everywhere!
1. What is your name and age?
Melissa Fillmore Age 40
2. What inspired you to get fit?
Just over 6 years ago I had finally had enough of being tired, obese and having no self esteem. At 5'3" I weighed 210lbs and was at 46% bodyfat. Learning to strength train changed my life. I turned a very unhealthy body and mind into a fit and happy woman. I am proud to be 40 and look and feel like I do. Now I help others find themselves through a healthy life makeover.
3. What keeps you motivated to live the healthy life?
My amazing husband, Craig, and my 5 kids keep me on track. My family tells me how proud they are of me and how my example effects them as well as their friends and our extended family. We eat better, continue to be active and make all around better choices.
4. How do you balance life, work, training and family?
Its not easy. I work 3 jobs and try to be the mom who always shows up to her kids games, concerts and performances (as well as play taxi to all their appointments). I choose to make myself a priority and have my family's permission to do so. We all strive for balance daily. I have also learned to take it one day at a time.
5. What is your favorite body part to exercise?
I'd like to say my back because it where my strength lies. Yet, I'm going to say legs. They are definitely my weakness but I am the most proud of what I have accomplished with them.
6. If you had to pick three key exercises - what would they be and why?
- Deadlifts - as I cannot do squats (back injury) I love compound movements that help me build my legs and booty and also requires core stabilization
- Pullups - True test of strength. Took me 4 years to be able to do them unassisted.
- Ab crunches with a focus on time under tension - core is the source of all strength, power and balance. And after having 5 kids, having a flat stomach is pretty close to a miracle.
7. What is your favorite cheat “treat”?
Anyone who knows me knows I am an M&M addict. Especially the seasonal flavored ones. However, since I know that once I start eating sugar I can't stop, I choose not to keep them in the house.
8. Anything else you would like us to know?
I am a former school teacher turned personal trainer. I compete as a Nationally Qualified NPC Figure and Women's Physique competitor. My mission statement is to change the world by helping women gain back their self confidence.
Melissa's Website: www.melissafillmore.com
Photo Credit: James Patrick Photography
Love Melissa's story? Make sure to comment below :) Also, make sure to get on our VIP list for more bursts of fitspiration to brighten your day. Be sure to come back soon to check out our next Feature Fit Girl.